Energy Crisis (Part 2) – The Facts
The increase in overweight is predicted to minimize the many health benefits of e.g. reducing or quitting smoking and for the first time in history, life expectancy is expected to decrease despite advances in medicine and technology.
This energy crisis is no longer about deficits, it is about abundance. Here are the facts:
– The population of overweight individuals has more than doubled in the last 30 years.
– In 2008 there was over 1.4 billion overweight adults of which 500 million were obese.
– If the current trend continues, 86% of Americans will be overweight and 51% obese in 2030.
– In 2010 over 40 million children under the age of 5 were overweight.
– In Finland one in ten young children and almost one fourth of secondary school children were considered overweight.
– The percentage of children in the United States that are expected to be overweight by 2030 is expected to be 60%.
– Currently, overweight kills more people than starvation.